A SOUTH Africa court Tuesday postponed the murder trial of sport star, Oscar Pistorius, until August 19.
Pistorius showed up in the court for a brief pre-trial hearing and magistrate Daniel Thulare decided to postpone the trial, Xinhua reported.
The athlete, 26, was charged with murder after he allegedly shot girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Valentines’ Day.
Pistorius, dubbed the Blade Runner, was a Paralympic champion who was also the first double amputee to compete against able-bodied competitors at the London Olympics last year.
However, his older brother was acquitted of charges of culpable homicide and reckless driving yesterday over a deadly road crash five years ago.
Carl Pistorius, 28, walked free from Vanderbijlpark Magistrate’s Court, south of Johannesburg.
The prosecution said it was hard to prove that a woman motorcyclist he had been accused of killing died from injuries sustained during the accident.
“We are satisfied with the outcome and Carl is also happy to see the end of this case,” said his lawyer, Kenny Oldwage, after the ruling.
Oldwage was also part of Oscar Pistorius’s murder trial defence team that helped him secure bail for the shooting of his model girlfriend in February.
Prosecutors said that Carl’s vehicle collided with Maria Barnard’s motorbike on March 8, 2008.
She died in hospital a few days later.
| < Prev | Next > |
|---|
