VICTIMS of the recent flood disaster in Kaduna that displaced thousands and destroyed about 300 buildings have started recounting their losses.
Mr. Lucky Inanse a civil servant in the state whose house was completely submerged said: “It has been tragic for me all through because an angry mob had earlier burnt down my house in Zaria last year because of the post-election violence despite that I am not a politician.”
Wailing, Mrs. Iketum Owoicho Adaje, a widow whose husband was killed by the Easter Sunday bomb blast in Kaduna, lamented that the flood submerged her family house rendering her and her family of six helpless and homeless.
“I leave my fate and the future of my six children to God. Only God will take control. I have been in Kaduna over 40 years with my husband until he was killed by the Easter Sunday bomb blast along Junction road while on his way to the church. Since the death of my husband, life has been very difficult.
“However, I still thank God since He has been seeing us through. Now, what will be my fate with my six children since this flood has destroyed our building without us bringing out even a single thing? The state government and relevant authorities did not come to our aid when my husband was killed by the Easter Sunday Kaduna bomb blast.”
At Lusawa area of Ungwar Romi, residents of neighbouring streets–Turaki, Musa Yarima, Ayuba Bako, Zarmai, and Wambai -were badly affected by the flood as not less than 200 people temporarily relocated to take refuge at the Government Day Secondary School, Romi.
Mr. Yusuf Doma, Village Head of Gonin-Gora said that no fewer than 60 buildings were affected and that 180 families and 900 people were displaced in his domain, with most of them temporarily taking refuge at relatives’ and sympathizers’ homes.
Also, Mr. Babatunde Adebanjo, a naval officer who just returned from Port Harcourt at the weekend said: “All my credentials, property and everything were completely submerged.”
The Commandant of the Nigeria Red Cross, Mr. Charles James; Ishaku Dogo Makama, Executive Secretary, Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Ali Zakari, Public Relations Officer (PRO) of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) voiced concern over the recurring disaster which caused havoc in the state despite consistent warning.
However, they assured that relevant agencies would come to the aid of those affected soon.
|< Prev||Next >|