Wednesday, Jun 12th

Last update11:00:00 PM GMT

You are here: Columnist Williams: Still On Mr. President’s Mid-term Report

Williams: Still On Mr. President’s Mid-term Report

E-mail Print
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 

SOME readers of this page last week queried the narrative’s scoring of President Jonathan on his mid-term report. I knew it would be so, having provided a somewhat noncommittal headline (Mr. President Didn’t Fail, He Didn’t Pass Either) and then going on to score Mr. President 39. Some said 39 per cent by all standard is failure, urging I should ask WAEC. Another asked if what I meant was -39 per cent, which is less than zero.

Truth is, Nigerians have wasted precious time and are no longer going to take just anything. Citizens want immediate delivery of dividends of democracy and are no longer in position to indulge media men who fail to speak truth to power.

But let me explain. What Mr. President presented was a mid-term report, meaning that the final scores will come in May 2015. Whatever anybody records now is just a fraction of the final aggregate, which will be due in another two years. I was mindful of that and that explained why the headline and the conclusion seemed contrasting.

According to government, there are ongoing investments in the power sector, policy changes and investments in agriculture, renovations in the aviation sector and interventions in the road sector. So, let Nigerians wait and see whether ongoing efforts will mature in two years for a definite score.

What should be said here, is that, you do not need the whole of four years to show the stuff you are made of. Take Gen Yakubu Gowon for instance, he was a young, carefree man when he found himself in the saddle as Nigeria’s Head of State. He grabbed the opportunity, showed charisma and gallantry. He prosecuted a civil war, without prior experience in such deadly matters and saved the country from dismemberment. And he invested wisely and prudently, without being rapaciously greedy.

Murtala Muhammed did not have one year to show that he could turn things around. Within six months, his swagger was felt all over the country. He was a great man, who had a mission to execute, no excuses. The idea to create a new federal capital territory, Abuja, where politicians are now wasting precious time and money is credited to Muhammed.

The Second Republic, as discredited as it has been in the annals of Nigeria’s politics recorded great achievements that are still monuments till date. The Shagari administration may have failed in other sectors, but it delivered sprawling, high and low cost housing estates all over the place, for civil servants and other average citizens. Those houses were not constructed for politicians to acquire and resell to hapless citizens.

Free education was available to citizens in the UPN states; free books, scholarships, bursaries were offered to lure children to school. State governments in UPN states competed to build quality state universities, which were substantially subsidised to enable poor parents send their children to schools. No student was sent home or denied access to examination halls until their parents were ‘forced’ to pay fees as high as N350, 000 and N500, 000, as we have today in public schools. That was the Second Republic for you, when leadership, in part, was aggressive and patriotic.

The Buhari/Idiagbon government scored very low on rights and civil liberties, yet, it did not have up to two years to show a direction and Nigerians haven’t forgotten the duo. They brought discipline to the public space and revived citizens’ sense of patriotism and national pride.

On May 29, ministers of the Federal Republic felt on top of the world and they challenged citizens to see what they have done in two years, which no other government in Nigeria’s 52 plus years could do. And what did they do? They printed copies of what they are doing and intend to do before the expiration of the tenure of this government.

LAST week, yours sincerely had the opportunity to fly to Abuja and it was on June 3, the day the Federal and Lagos State governments held memorial services for victims of the ill-fated DANA plane crash of June 3, 2012. I had no idea what airline would be available at the time I walked into MM2 at about 3.00pm that day. Looking around, it occurred to me that it was only DANA that met with the specification of time and finances that were available to me. The DANA counter was not exactly a beehive, like some other ‘highbrow’ airlines, which were outrageously costly, as far as I am concerned. I opted for DANA, not because I wanted to show macho, but simply because that was what the economy and the aviation ministry made available to persons in my station. I saw sneering looks, but it didn’t deter me. I checked in, ready to board, but the flight was delayed for 40 minutes, not an unusual announcement in our airports. I would have preferred to have it done with in 50 minutes or one hour, rather than having extra time to contemplate my choice and become weak at the knees. After 40 minutes I boarded and discovered that scores of Nigerians bought the same ticket, I got encouraged, but did not summon courage to call my wife to say, ‘here I am, inside DANA.’ I thought it was healthier to do that when we touched down safely at Abuja.

It turned out to be a beautiful flight and the crew, clad in red and white was just as courteous as they were before last year’s crash. They served fairly good light refreshment, which others would rather sell on board, in addition to their costly fares.

The following day, a message (sms) came, apologising for the delay of flight 9J 357 of June 3, which they said was due to late inbound of the operating aircraft. Whatever that meant, I did not care, but it was refreshing that some service provider remembered to say sorry to some Nigerians.

The point is that the aviation industry is one of the sectors where this government pounds its chest, for having turned around infrastructure at some airports. That is visible work ongoing, waiting to be supported with strong regulations, so that aircraft will no longer drop so recklessly from the skies, killing over a hundred people in a flash. Regulations should take into account citizens’ welfare vis-à-vis what is normal as profit for operators. To leave ordinary citizens entirely at the mercy of airline owners, all in the name of market forces would cause some airlines to offer subsidies that could lower standards. The big players could also take advantage of that to muzzle small players. Aviation is too sensitive to be left to market forces alone.

On ground the scorecard is also not encouraging. Here is situation report regarding the dualization of Abuja-Lokoja expressway. Mr. President needs this information so that he would adjust his timetable. That project, at the pace it is going may not be completed in 10 years. Work is ongoing, has always been ongoing, but the contractors work at their own pace, like workmen hired on credit. They will do what they can until they are paid reasonably and in good time.

To have a clear understanding of this particular project, it should be noted that this administration did not sign the first contract. Reviews may have taken place to add more money since earlier contracts had either lapsed or are no longer tenable, given inflationary trends.

At least three ministers have made empty promises on this same road. There was Senator Mohammed Sanusi Daggash; there was Hassan Lawal, who has a case of embezzlement with the EFCC. Lawal was said to have misappropriated N6.4bn, so they want him to explain what he did with the money. We have had ministers of works who are so lousy and non-performing, but nobody disturbs them. This particular one, Lawal had issues with the PDP and left to join the CPC in Nasarawa, to torment his former party. That is why he has some explanations to do. Then there is the current minister, Mike Onolemenme, making three ministers who have made empty noise on this road.

The work is done in bits, having been shared to different contractors – Reynolds Construction Company (RCC), Bulletin Construction Company, Dantata and Sawoe Construction Nigeria and Gitto Construction Company Ltd.

The Gwagwalada end is fairly okay, but not open to traffic because several portions are not linked yet. The portion around Abaji is not touched at all; apparently, the ministry is scared of compensation cost to property owners that must give way. The Kotonkarfi end is where the real job is. Here, a contractor needs plenty of money to overcome the confluence swamps, amount which government, given its penchant for fiscal indiscipline cannot pay in 10 good years.

This road was mentioned as one of those paved with bitumen in 2012 by the finance minister on May 29. True talk. When last did she travel on that road?

The scoring continues.

Author of this article: Alabi Williams

Show Other Articles Of This Author

Want to make a comment? it's quick and easy! Click here to Log in or Register