Guardian

Saturday, Jan 12th

Last update12:00:00 AM GMT

You are here: National News FEC okays three new varsities, brand tourism identity

FEC okays three new varsities, brand tourism identity

E-mail Print
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 
labaran-maku

THE Federal Executive Council (FEC) Wednesday rose from its first meeting of the year approving three new universities in the country. Nigeria now has 127 universities.

The new institutions would be sited in Gashua (Yobe) Birnin Kebbi (Kebbi) and Gusau (Zamfara). With the approval, the President Goodluck Jonathan administration must have fulfilled its pledge of citing a university in each state of the federation.

Also, the FEC approved a new tourism brand identity for Nigeria, which was presented to the Council by the Minister of Culture, Tourism and National Orientation, Chief Edem Duke.

President Jonathan, who presided over the meeting, gave a matching order to all ministers to complete all projects this year but must not undermine quality.

Addressing State House Correspondents after the meeting, Information Minister, Labaran Maku, and his Education counterpart, Prof. Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufa’i, said with the establishment of a federal university in each state of the federation, the situation where only 10 per cent of school leavers got admission into higher institutions nationwide would now be a thing of the past.

Throwing more light on the benefit of sitting one federal university in each state of the federation, Rufa’i disclosed that about 1.3 million school leavers seek entrance to higher institutions every year in the country, yet not up to 200,000 spaces are available in the existing institutions.

She explained that eight out of the nine federal universities approved in 2012 had taken off and even matriculated students, except the one in Otuoke, Bayelsa State, which takes off fully next month after delay caused by the floods.

She said skeletal services are to start as soon as possible in the new universities and that academic work should start by 2014/2015 academic year.

According to Duke: “The policy which seeks to give priority to exploiting Nigeria’s tourism potentials was favourably received by the President and other cabinet members.

The policy includes evolution of retail destinations with the hospitality sector properly dove-tailing into tourism.

The minister further hinted that health tourism would be promoted. He also told reporters that FEC’s approved new campaign adverts to showcase Nigeria’s tourism potential.

Maku also disclosed that President Jonathan started the meeting by giving marching orders to work harder and faster in 2013 to deliver results.

The President acknowledged the good work done in last one and half years, but warned the ministers not to take anything for granted as there is need to consolidate on the foundation laid last year.

Author of this article: From Mohammed Abubakar, Abuja

Show Other Articles Of This Author

Want to make a comment? it's quick and easy! Click
here to Log in or Register